Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorbluerip
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009 edited

Greetings Everyone,

(You may have seen this post already on LFGSS)

I am a longstanding CC member and often read posts requesting injury advice and contacts for Physiotherapists with an interest in cycling. Well I am one such Physiotherapist. As well as commuting I ride regular Sportives around the country and occasionally venture onto the rollers. It can be frustrating seeking treatment for sports-specific complaints and I would like to offer my services to fellow CC members. I would like to use this thread to offer injury prevention and management advice to members and would also like to offer reduced cost Physiotherapy Assessments.

I work privately with the Complete Physio Group (www.complete-physio.co.uk) who have sites across North and Central London. We are a team of experienced Musculoskeletal clinicians who have all worked in a range of high level sports.

I would like to offer Rollapaluza CC members 30min assessments for just £30 (perfect for the assessment of acute complaints) or conventional 45min assessments for just £40.

If you have any special requirements or wish to book an appointment please 'Whisper' me a PM. Alternatively you can call Complete Physio on 0207 482 3875 quoting 'CYCLIST' to book your reduced rate appointment with me.

I look forward to your queries and posts.

Regards,

Michael (aka Bluerip)
    Chartered Physiotherapist
    • CommentAuthorwinston
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009

thanks for this, I've had a long term bad back.....was a tall chef working in kitchens designed for the average height then a courier...both probably not suitable for good back health!

Never known where to turn....is a physiotherapist who I should see for an initial assessment of my back?
    • CommentAuthorbluerip

A Physiotherapist will give you a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis and will tailor treatments to suit you as an individual. We are less 'medical' than other professions and are very pro-active in providing self-help tools to patients which I find is ulitmately more effective than receiving long courses of passive treatments which are often quite costly.
    • CommentAuthorRPM

Pregnant women often get bad back trouble...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnt
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

I'll book myself in. Great.
    Perfect timing!

My hamstrings are giving more grief since I've been off the bike rather than on.

I'll be in touch.
    • CommentAuthorbluerip
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

I'll be undercover at Brief Encounters otherwise I'll get trapped in a corner doing ad-hoc assessments on retired tall chefs, couriers and pregnant women...
    • CommentAuthorcliveo
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

I am not tall, nor a courier nor pregnant and I can't cook.

Do say hello
    • CommentAuthorbluerip
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009

Hi all,

This thread is pretty much non-functional now as everyone seems to be on LFGSS. I will still check this intermittently for private messages. Will also try and get down for the beers and skin-suits fiesta if anyone wants a Q&A session.
    • CommentAuthorGiorgio
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009

you'll be most welcome!
    I'm going tomorrow evening. I'll report back afterwards. Michael(bluerip)'s been very professional and easy to deal with so far…
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnt
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010

Good stuff. I really need to get looked at soon, my left hand hip/glute area is getting worse.
    • CommentAuthorCalleva

Posted By: BringMeMyFixI'm going tomorrow evening. I'll report back afterwards. Michael(bluerip)'s been very professional and easy to deal with so far…

ditto... I want to try and find out the issue with my knee so's I don't pile in to a load of riding and damage it.
    See you there? What time are you going?
    • CommentAuthorCalleva

^ Hopefully. My appointment is at 5.30pm for 45 mins. I am looking to nudge it a little later though; work looks like it will make things tight, time wise. I'll let you know.
    Won't be there till much later. Good luck :)
    • CommentAuthorCalleva

I've just re-booked for 6.30
    Won't be there till much later. Good luck :p
    • CommentAuthorPlurabelle
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010 edited

That's weird; yesterday I sorted out an appointment with him for tomorrow too, in the afternoon. I have had a bad back forever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBringMeMyFix

And I bet he'd given up on getting any business out of this godforsaken institution ;)

Oh yeah: won't be there till much later. Good luck :/
    • CommentAuthorVed

What the fuck is wrong with everyone? Is it the cold?

I must admit I need to see a physio asap.
    •  

Old age, plus the money we didn't spend over Xmas due to being stuck indoors.
    • CommentAuthorbluerip
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: BringMeMyFix</cite>I'm going tomorrow evening. I'll report back afterwards. Michael(bluerip)'s been very professional and easy to deal with so far…</blockquote>

Professional all the way.

Four RLPZ members in today.

You can also catch me on The Bike Show - Resonance 104.4FM on Monday at 6.30pm.
    Who's the fourth then, or would that be breaching a client confidentiality agreement?

Bike Show appearance sounds interesting - will you bump this thread on the day, please?
    That was really great, very much recommended – thank you again, Michael.
    • CommentAuthorVed
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

Me. Cheers Michael.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited

I think it would be fair to say that on the whole it's the allied health professionals who have the best bedside manner (yes, I'm biased, but honest), and Michael's no exception.

Case history is taken concisely and relevantly, giving you a chance to air your hunches* about what's up. A visual/kinesthetic assessment of posture and flexibilty comes next, and then an open and honest discussion about treatment options, with room for manoeuvre based on your preferences.

We looked at the repercussions of an old sacral ligament injury, and the postural effects of amassed hours in the saddle coupled with my own physiology. Michael confirmed my fuzzy self-diagnoses, but also identified stuff I wasn't aware of, and did some very efficient realignment work in my lumbar region, as well as initial deep tissue massage on my chronically knotted upper back/neck/shoulders.

He also took me through half a dozen stretches, supplemented with trademark physio stickman illustrations, and I'll be feeding back on these (the stretches, not the illustrations) next week when I return for a bit of follow up work.

Another very satisfied customer :)

*these can be corrected if necessary :D
    I feel different today - in a very good way (apart from the massive row with Faith immediately on waking).

Just did my Friday weights + rollers session, but it's now a weights + rollers + stretches session. I feel even better than I did on first waking (before the row).

How are the other 'patients' doing?
    Don't be shy...
    Really good. I am normally very wary of doing more than a very small range of movement with my lower back - I had a prolapsed disc and associated nerve problems down one leg a few years ago due to my pre-teen gymnastic career and general hypermobility, and ever since if I arch it at all I get a lot of pain - but he explained really well why I need to stretch it in some ways that seem counterintuitive. I'd basically misunderstood quite a lot of the problem before. So now: loads more movement and a hope that it might even go away completely if I do some new things. Which would be amazing.
    • CommentAuthorCalleva
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010

+1 to all your positive points about bedside manner and process.

It turns out my knee problem should hopefully be nothing more than a bit of bruising, or a small tear, to the meniscus. I also got some stretches to sort out my tight hamstrings and that will hopefully bring my slightly rotated left leg back into line, an issue which may have been exacerbating the problem. Apart from that, everything is fine. There is a lot of movement in my joints and some clunking associated with that but nothing that should cause a problem. I think with a little stretching and some leg strength work, and not hitting the road like crazy as soon as the bloody ice thaws, it should be fine.

I found it very useful to learn a little more about some stuff I had researched, in the context of my own body.

Recommended.
    • CommentAuthorbluerip
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010

You can catch me on The bike Show - Resonance 104.4FM at 6.30pm Monday night.
    • CommentAuthorGiorgio
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010

will listen out for it. or catch it on podcast, more likely.

good feedback from everyone above - in the sense that I can see how a session would be of benefit. once the post-festive cashmoney situation has calmed down (ie, when I'm back in credit), I will make this a priority.
    • CommentAuthorbluerip
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010 edited

Posted By: bikepusherwill listen out for it. or catch it on podcast, more likely.

good feedback from everyone above - in the sense that I can see how a session would be of benefit. once the post-festive cashmoney situation has calmed down (ie, when I'm back in credit), I will make this a priority.

Look forward to seeing you then
    Anyone else got a follow-up appointment today?
    • CommentAuthorVed
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010

Yep, thanks for the reminder.
    Give us some feedback this time, FFS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnt

I'll be there at 5pm
    Oh dear - that probably means my 8.30 will be pushed back ;)
    • CommentAuthorbluerip

We are running to time. Have 4 RLPZ in again this week.
    • CommentAuthorGiorgio

oh dear, are we in that bad a shape? will be one more soon, too.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited

We're in that good a shape :)
    • CommentAuthorbluerip

To be fair you are all at a high level and that makes my job more interesting to fine tune your bodies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnt

That fooking hurt :) thanks dude.
    • CommentAuthorbluerip

Here is the podcast from The Bike Show

http://thebikeshow.net/well-being

enjoy
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnt

So this is what happened (as I know Scarlett likes this sort of thing). Got assessed very quickly, and was given feedback after every test as to the health or otherwise of the group of muscles or body part we were checking.

It turns out I have decent mobility in my back all the way down to the lower lumbar where it get very tight. Hamstrings and quads both super tight (how much of that is down to the DOMS we didn't know but I wager not much). Michael gave me some modifications to my stretches, a strengthening exercise for my piriformis and then asked if I was opposed to acupuncture. After saying go for it he told me it would not be pain free.

Understatement.

I swore like a navvy as he was twisting those needles around, the feeling after though was odd, the muscles that were all locked up for ages suddenly were a bit more relaxed. I came out walking without a limp despite feeling a bit fucked.

Looking forward to next week now, not so much for the pain though.
    Interesting to hear about the acupuncture, Ant (Antcupuncture?). Is that what's called 'trigger point'?

I've got one more session to go. More spinal manipulation stuff. There are a couple of new stretch/extensions to do too - a lateral pelvic thing and a revised approach to improving extension in my upper back.

The therapy room is a safe haven within the weird nightmarish world of contemporary gym culture: single range of motion machines, treadmills, large screen TVs, saturated images of circular consumerism. I don't get it, and I don't want to get it.

But then some people think lycra's weird and nightmarish, so each to their own.
    • CommentAuthorRPM

Pah, you softies just need a good days work, not all this namby-pamby accopunture and all that jazz!
    • CommentAuthorVed
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010 edited

Posted By: BringMeMyFixGive us some feedback this time, FFS.

FFS?!? Get her!

I had a sore and very stiff back after resuming riding after a period of two weeks off the bike.

My pain was centered around the lower back with an accompanying discomfort in my left glute and leg. After the initial session it was clear hamstrings and glutes were too tight (because I rarely stretch these properly), whilst my quads and calves were fine (as I stretch these properly). The tightness of these muscles was contributing to my lower back pain.

Michael gave me some stretches which have helped immensely and yesterday with did some spinal manipulation(click!) which was ace. My back is a tad sore today, but I am hoping this will clear up by tomorrow. Also, I no longer suffer discomfort when seated at work in my left glute and leg. Which is nice.

My spinal range of motion is not great and I am hoping the stretches will address this issue along with the tight hamstrings and glutes.
    • CommentAuthorRPM
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010

DOMs anyone?

I've been crippled since rplza tuesday night..

mainly my right rectus femoris , vastus intermidius and vastus medialis.

Monday: weights as usual, no probs there
    Tuesday: morning 40 mins rollers "tempo" ride, replaces road ride.

Then huge DOMS on wednesday, so I did a 30 mins easy on rollers to try and chase it away.
    Thursday still bad but I managed some of my gym.
    Today still bad, not sure whether to do nothing or some light rollers or my scheduled kilo session!

The only thing I can think of (apart from the damage workign the rigs for 5 hours solid (all that crouching) is that I neglected to take my protein shake after tuesdays roller session and probably also dehydrated in the evening. Usually I just take a small protein shake after every work out.

At the moment I am walking like an elderly man